Monday, March 26, 2012

Sourdough Bread

I love sourdough bread. Like deeply, truly love it. I would eat it everyday if I could! So why haven't I tried to make it at home? Because I have a fear of bread baking, never mind one that requires a starter. But I told myself this year I would tackle my fear of yeast bread, and starting with sourdough was the natural choice. While the bread was delicious, it wasn't "sour" enough for me. But I will try again soon with the starter that is still in my fridge. Maybe it will get better with time! I sliced mine thick and used 3 different cheeses to make grilled cheese with homemade tomato soup. YUUMM!





Sourdough Starter  (Courtesy of Annie's Eats)
2 cups warm water
1 tbsp. sugar or honey
1 tbsp. active dry yeast
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Pour the water into a 2-quart glass or ceramic jar or bowl.  Stir in the sugar or honey to dissolve.  Stir in the yeast. Gradually whisk in the flour.  Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel or dishcloth (not plastic wrap) and place it in a warm area. Let it develop 2-5 days (I let mine go for 5), stirring once a day due to the separation that will occur.  When bubbling has subsided and a sour aroma has developed, stir once more and refrigerate until ready to use.

Sourdough Bread

1 Cup Starter
3 Cups Flour
2 Cups Warm Water
1/4 Cup sugar
Mix together and let stand in a warm place overnight (no more then 8-10 hours.)

Take out 1 cup and add to your starter to replenish, adding 1Tablespoon of sugar. Stir and replace starter in the fridge. To the remaining dough add:
1 Cup Warm Milk
1 Egg
1/4 Cup softened butter
1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons salt
4-5 Cups Flour

Mix well, adding flour as needed. Knead on floured board until smooth and elastic. Place in a large greased bowl, cover and let rise until double. Punch down and shape (I baked mine in loaf pans.) Allow to rise, bake 30 minutes at 400.
*This recipe makes 2 large loaves of bread, so it may take more then 30 minutes for them to cook through in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment